Yokohama Tire Corporation is the North American manufacturing and marketing arm of Tokyo, Japan-based The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd., a global manufacturing and sales company of premium tires since 1917. Servicing a network of more than 4,500 points of sale in the U.S., Yokohama Tire Corporation is a leader in technology and innovation. The company’s complete product line includes the dB Super E-spec™ - the world’s first tire to use orange oil to reduce petroleum - as well as tires for high-performance, light truck, passenger car, commercial truck and bus, and off-the-road mining and construction applications.
Yokohama Tire Corporation Timeline
- The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd., based in Tokyo, Japan, and founded in 1917, enters the U.S. market by opening an office in Los Angeles, CA.
- Yokohama Tire Corporation is founded.
- Yokohama introduces G.T. Special Products in the U.S.
- Yokohama's DOT-approved A001R tire revolutionizes autocrossing in the U.S.
- Yokohama introduces the A008 asymmetric tread pattern to the U.S. market.
- Yokohama outgrows its Montebello facility and moves to Fullerton, CA.
- Yokohama wins the grueling 12 Hours of Sebring with Akin Porsche 962.
- In two years, Yokohama doubles the size of its Fullerton warehouse to 450,000 square-feet.
- Yokohama enters into a heavy truck tire manufacturing joint venture with General Tire and Toyo Tire. The company, GTY Tire, is located in Mt. Vernon, IL.
- Yokohama acquires the Mohawk Rubber Company, providing an essential manufacturing facility in the U.S.
- Yokohama becomes the Official Tire of the Jim Russell Racing Driving School.
- Yokohama and the Mohawk Rubber Company merge. This venture gives Yokohama the ability to produce automobile and light truck tires for sale in both the OEM and replacement markets in the U.S.
- Yokohama completes its $80 million first phase expansion at the Salem, VA plant.
- The Salem plant produces 70 percent of the passenger tires Yokohama sells in the U.S.
Yokohama racing slicks win IMSA endurance events:
- Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona
- 12 Hours of Sebring
- 24 Hours of Le Mans, GTS Class
- Yokohama celebrates its 25th anniversary of operation in the U.S.
- Yokohama opens a new distribution center in Suwanee, GA.
- Yokohama's innovative motorsports tradition continues with the introduction of the DOT-approved A032R.
- Yokohama motorsports activity expands as the company enters the International Motorsports Association WSC class.
- Yokohama becomes the spec tire for IMSA Slick 50 Pro-Series.
- Yokohama introduces the Guardex 600™ snow tire in 60- and 65-series sizes.
- A new pinnacle of all-season performance is reached by Yokohama's new AVS S4® ultra-high-performance tire.
- Yokohama introduces the GEOLANDAR H/T®, available in a wide range of sizes for SUVs and light trucks.
- Yokohama introduces GEOLANDAR A/T®, an all-terrain light truck/SUV tire.
- AVS S1® and AVID® lines are introduced.
- Yokohama creates commercial/consumer divisions to better serve customer needs.
- Yokohama introduces the A520® and GEOLANDAR M/T® Directional.
- Yokohama reaffirms its dedication to taking technology from the race track to the street with the introduction of the AVS Sport® ultra-high-performance tire, Yokohama's street version of their race-winning Toyota Atlantic racing rain tire.
- To fill the growing demand for its products, Yokohama opens a new tire distribution center in Auburn, GA.
- New tires introduced: AVS dB® - the all-season, ultra-high-performance tire that does not sacrifice handling or grip; and PARADA®. Offering a radical footprint and highly responsive control, PARADA delivers great performance and good looks.
- Yokohama expands tire offering with two more new tires: GEOLANDAR A/T +II® - SUV and light truck performance technology in an aggressive, good-looking package; and PARADA Spec-2® - bigger, badder and better than its predecessor, the 19" sizes make Plus fitments a reality for the tuner/performance crowd.
- Yokohama continues to build its performance leader status by adding two performance-oriented products: AVS ES100® - a cutting-edge treadline highlights new generation ultra-high performer and GEOLANDAR H/T-S® - one tire and three new performance applications make it a leader in SUV/light truck tire technology.
- Yokohama becomes the Official Tire of Infineon Raceway.
- Yokohama introduces its ADVAN® line of ultra high-performance tires in the U.S.
- Yokohama racing tires win the 24 Hours of Le Mans (GT2 Class), leading 22 hours.
- Yokohama becomes the Official Tire of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
- Yokohama joins Ford Motor Company's Around the Wheel Program as an authorized replacement tire supplier.
- Yokohama opens new Distribution Center in Groveport, OH, to serve the Northeast region of the U.S.
- Yokohama becomes the Official Tire of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
- Yokohama becomes the Official Tire of the L.A. Auto Show.
- Yokohama is the Official Tire of the Champ Car Atlantic Championship for the 18th season.
- Yokohama introduces the Parada Spec-X® tire, specifically designed for inch-up fitments for trucks, SUVs and as high-performance replacements for the latest crossovers.
- Yokohama introduces S.drive® and GEOLANDAR A/T-S® tires.
- Yokohama's ADVAN Sport® (V103S) tire is approved by Audi AG as an original equipment tire for the new S8 that is on sale in the U.S. as a 2007 model.
- Yokohama's ADVAN Neova® tires are chosen as OE on the 135 mph all-electric Tesla Roadster.
- AVID W4s™ tire debuts.
- Yokohama announces environmentally-friendly dB Super E-spec™ concept tire in Japan made with orange oil, reducing the proportion of petroleum products in tires. The dB Super E-spec incorporates a new, patented Advanced Inner Liner, designed to reduce air from seeping out and maintain proper tire inflation.
- Yokohama launches new Zenvironment® line, which uses high-technology to produce tires that are more fuel efficient and help protect the environment. First tire launched: 703ZL™, an ultra-long mileage commercial truck tire that has the deepest tread and lowest rolling resistance in its category.
- Norio Karashima, president and CEO, Yokohama Tire Corporation (YTC) and
- President of Yokohama Corporation of America, is promoted to managing corporate officer of The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd.
- Yokohama chosen as OE on 2008 Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan minivans.
- Yokohama's Salem, VA, tire plant certified to the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System standard.
- Yokohama joins Volvo's Tire Program as an authorized replacement tire supplier.
- Yokohama announced new partnership with Mopar and its TIREWorks program. Yokohama's full line of consumer tires will be available at more than 3,700 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep dealers across the U.S.
- Yokohama celebrates 20 years of sponsoring the Porsche Parade.
- Yokohama sponsors three NFL teams (Cleveland Browns, Atlanta Falcons and Baltimore Ravens), two college football teams (UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans) and two minor league baseball teams (Triple-A Columbus Clippers and the Double-A Reading Phillies)
- Mercedes-Benz A.G. selects Yokohama's ADVAN Sport ultra high-performance tires as original equipment on its CL63 AMG, CL65 AMG and ML63 AMG models.
- Jim MacMaster, YTC executive vice president, Business Division, elected chairman of Rubber Manufacturers Association.
- Yokohama launches winter tires W.drive™, iceGuard iG20™ and GEOLANDAR I/T G072™.
- The first ADVAN Premium Service Center in the United States is dedicated at the Tire Man in Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Yokohama launches two new commercial tires in its Zenvironment line, which uses high-technology to produce tires that are more fuel efficient and help protect the environment. These tires are the 501ZA™ and 103ZR™.
- Yokohama sponsors three NBA teams: San Antonio Spurs, Golden State Warriors and Boston Celtics.
- Yokohama chosen as OE on 2008 Mitsubishi Evo.
- Yokohama Off-The-Road Division offers size expansions for two of its earthmover tires: RT41™ and RB31™. The RT41 is available in 29.5R25 and 23.5R25. The RB31 is now available in 26.5R25 and 29.5R25.
- Takao Oishi named president and CEO of YTC. Effective June 27, 2008, promoted to corporate officer of The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd. headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
- Yokohama ADVAN becomes the Official Tire of Speed Racer movie.
- Yokohama sponsors two minor league baseball teams (Triple-A Scranton Yankees and Memphis Redbirds).
- Yokohama becomes the Official Tire of Sebring International Raceway and Road Atlanta.
- Yokohama introduces the AVID Touring-S™ tire.
- Yokohama introduces two environmentally-friendly tires that use orange oil - a U.S. version of the dB Super E-spec™ and an experimental Eco Race Tire.
- Yokohama debuts ADVAN Neova® AD08 tire.
- dB Super E-spec wins Popular Mechanics Editor's Choice Award at SEMA.
- Reigning world champion Boston Celtics and former champion San Antonio Spurs announced as Yokohama marketing partners for the 2008-'09 NBA season.
- Jim MacMaster named executive vice president and COO of YTC.
- Three commercial truck tires, the 703ZL™, RY617TM and RY587MC2TM, receive Environmental Protection Agency's SmartWay verification for their ability to reduce transportation-related emissions.
- The 103ZR earns a Heavy Duty Trucking 2008 "Nifty Fifty" award for its capability as a fuel-efficient, long-lasting commercial truck tire.
- Consumers Digest names Geolandar H/T-S® a "2009 Best Buy" for two SUV/Truck categories - All-Season and Performance.
- The orange oil-infused ADVAN® ENV-R1™, launches as the Official Spec Tire for the 2009 Patrón GT3 Challenge by Yokohama race series. The ENV-R1 is the first eco-friendly tire to be used in series-wide competition and reduces petroleum inputs by approximately 10 percent.
- Yokohama again joins long-standing racing partner Team PTG Racing in supplying ADVAN A005® slicks for their Panoz Esperante American Le Mans Series entrant.
- Yokohama-sponsored off-road champion Heidi Steele named Dirt Sports Driver of the Year.
- Yokohama "Forever Forest" holds its first tree-planting ceremony outside of Asia at its Salem, VA plant. Forever Forest is a global initiative that aims to plant approximately 500,000 trees around Yokohama's facilities worldwide by 2017.
- Yokohama named EPA SmartWay® Partner in the "shippers" category.
- ADVAN Neova® AD08 and dB Super E-spec™ officially go on sale.
- Takao Oishi, Yokohama president & CEO promoted to corporate officer, as well as president of Yokohama Corporation of America and president of Yokohama Corporation of North America.
- ADVAN Sport ZPS® (Zero Pressure System) runflat tire goes on sale.
- Yokohama (Dan Guiney) appointed to the Tire Society Board.
- For third consecutive year, Yokohama sponsors two NFL teams (Cleveland Browns, and Baltimore Ravens) and two college football teams (UCLA Bruins and USC Trojans).
- Yokohama named the Official Tire Supplier on the Jaguar XKR GT2 in the American
- Le Mans Series, by RSR.
- Yokohama celebrates its 40th anniversary of operation in the U.S.
- AVID® ENVigor™ debuts at LA Auto Show.
- Yokohama earns OE fitments on 2010 Toyota Prius and 2010 Toyota 4Runner
- Yokohama-sponsored off-road racers Heidi and Cameron Steele win back-to-back championships. Heidi wins the SCORE title in Class 6; Cameron the SNORE
- (Southern Nevada Off Road Enthusiasts) championship in Unlimited Truck division.
- Yokohama returns to short-course off-road racing by sponsoring the Lucas Oil Off-Road Racing Series.
- AVID ENVigor goes on sale, replacing AVID® H4s™, V4s™ and W4s™.
- The orange oil-infused ADVAN® ENV-R2™ debuts at Sebring as the Official Spec
- Tire for the 2010 Patrón GT3 Challenge by Yokohama race series and the new GT3 Challenge Class endurance series. The ENV-R2 is the upgraded version of the ADVAN ENV-R1.
- YTC signs a two-year sponsorship extension with the International Motor Sports Association (IMSA).
- Yokohama returns to SCCA racing as a contingency sponsor.
- Yokohama sponsors the NBA's Boston Celtics and San Antonio Spurs for the third consecutive year.
- Five more Yokohama commercial truck tires (101ZL™, 103ZR™, RY587™ , TY577™ and TY517MC2™) were added to the EPA's SmartWaySM list of verified technologies for tires, bringing the total to eight YTC products that are recognized as SmartWay "low rolling resistance tires."
- Yokohama debuts two new commercial truck tires at the Mid-America Trucking Show: the 101ZL, a premium long-haul steer tire; and the MY627W™ all-position waste/sanitation tire.
- Yokohama sponsors the Los Angeles Angels baseball team.
- Yokohama’s eco-sensitive "living wall" display at the 2009 LA Auto Show wins an award from Exhibitor magazine.
- After 29 years with Yokohama, Jim MacMaster, executive vice president and COO, retires.
- YTC kicks off its series of educational videos called "Yokohama Tire Tips."
- Yokohama sponsors three NFL teams: Dallas Cowboys, Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens.
- YTC launches an online Fuel Savings Calculator for commercial fleet owners.
- Yokohama announces new ADVANTAGE® Online program for consumer and commercial tire dealers.
- AVID ENVigor ties for first place at Tire Rack testing event.
- Yokohama introduces two OTR dump truck tires: the RL42™ and RB42™.
- YTC's Salem plant signs new four-year contract with union and begins $13 million expansion to handle increased tire demand.
- Yokohama debuts SmartSolution™ communications program and website for commercial tire dealers.
- YTC signs contract extension to sponsor the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance through 2016.
- Yokohama named the Official Tire Supplier of West Racing Team's two Lamborghinis, which will campaign in the 2011 American Le Mans Series (ALMS) GT Class.
- EXCEED, an interactive, self-directed website training program for Yokohama dealers, is launched.
- Yokohama is a platinum sponsor at the Z Car Convention honoring the 40th
- Anniversary of the famed Nissan Z sports car.
- Gary Nash, YTC vice president, OTR division, was inducted into the Tire Industry Association (TIA) Hall of Fame.
- An electric race vehicle sponsored by Yokohama won the 2010 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in record-breaking time.
- Yokohama hosts "Green Week" and "Forever Forest Fullerton" tree-planting ceremony. To date, around 180,000 trees have been planted worldwide at Yokohama facilities.
- YTC announces strategic management promotions that include Dan King to senior vice president of sales and marketing, and Thomas Masuguchi to vice president and controller, John Cooney to director of export and Rick Phillips to director of commercial sales.
- The Yokohama Rubber Co., Ltd. wins the 2011 Environmental Achievement of the Year award at the Tire Technology Expo in Cologne, Germany.
- Yokohama's iPad app - the "Yokohama Tire Explorer” - becomes available to consumers on iTunes.
- Yokohama Tire Corporation Wins Silver ADDY® Award for iPad App
- Yokohama sponsors the NBA's Boston Celtics (for the fourth consecutive year) and Houston Rockets for the first time.
- YTC launches the SmartWay-verified RY407™ super single wide base tire at the Mid-America Trucking Show. The prototype 702™ drive tire is also slated for showing.